A blog is a website on which items are posted, typically on a regular basis, and usually displayed in diary or journal format in reverse chronological order. The word ‘blog’ comes from the shortened form of weblog or web log. Items posted in a blog may be text, images, links to audio or video, or pretty much anything that the blogger wants to and/or can post. Blogging is the term given to the maintaining of or adding articles to a blog, and ‘bloggers’ are the people that do it.
Blogs are having an enormous impact on the way in which public and private opinions and information are shared and aired in the 21st century. Blogs are used by diarists, journalists, politicians, corporate bodies and advertising agencies. As of September 2007, Technorati was tracking over 106 million blogs.
How Blogs Can Help Promote Your Business
If you create a blog, you can help increase the depth of your online coverage. Search engines tend to ‘like’ blogs – not only do they tend to be text-rich, but they are update frequently with fresh ‘spider-fuel’ (e.g. content). Search engines dedicated to the ‘blogosphere’ (and more mainstream search engines) can find and rank your blog in the much the same way as they would rank a website. Optimising a blog is very similar to the principles of optimising a website. Here are a few of the basic principles outlined:
- Use keywords in your blog domain name
- Use keywords in your blog header tags
- Use keywords in your blog post titles and blog content
- Use keyword rich linking text
- Get links from other blogs and websites
- Submit your blog to blog search engines and directories
- Keep posting fresh content
- Provide interesting, unique and well-written content, so people want to read what you have to say.
Advantages of Blogging
- Cheap (or free) to host
- Quick and easy to access and update
- Increasingly fashionable way to disseminate information on the internet
- Blog search engines update listings quickly
- Bloggers can offer commentary and opinion on any subject under the sun.
Disadvantages of Blogging
- Bloggers may knowingly, or inadvertently, release private or confidential information
- Bloggers have been charged of defamation
- Lack of corporate control over ‘blog-media’ releases
- Freedom of expression doesn’t mean that defamation and legal action won’t be taken by disgruntled blog subjects
Blogs About Search Engine Marketing
- Search Engine Watch Blog (http://searchenginewatch.com) – This blog offers tips on search engine marketing (SEM) and search engine optimization (SEO) and the latest search engine news.
- Top Rank Blog (http://www.toprankblog.com) – Internet marketing blog about the intersection of social media, search marketing and online public relation.
We endeavour to keep the content of our website as up-to-date as possible in order to help webmasters find the most useful Internet resources for promoting websites online.
“Rocket Rank offers webmasters easy access to tools and information about keyword research, optimisation and search marketing.”